Monday, August 24, 2009

American Samoa Top Ten

Every time I have talked to someone at home lately, I get asked the same question:

“What is your favorite thing about American Samoa?”

Or conversely:

“What is the hardest thing about living in American Samoa?”

I was surprised by how hard these questions are, and when I was asked I found I could only answer that I didn’t really know. So for this post I sat down and really tried to think about my favorite things about the island so far, and the things that are giving me a hard time. Eventually I came up with these lists that go in descending order, David Letterman style.

Top Ten Toughest Things about Living in AmSam:

10. Book Issues

Was I spoiled having a librarian as a mother? Probably. Right now I am having minor anxiety attacks about being able to get books since the library is way in Pago and I am just busy during business hours. I still have a few books in the house to read, and some library books – but I am only allowed to take out two at a time! Argh.

9. No Bike

Ok, I am actually going to get a bike when I get some more cash, but it is bothering me at the moment that I can’t really get a good bike ride in before school so I’m making it number 9.

8. Termites

I don’t mind termites so much in general – but when they are in all you cabinets, shelves, and furniture and occasionally winged ones swarm in your house they are kind of annoying.

7. Mosquitoes

I hate them. I really do. There are definitely a good amount here at dawn and dusk, and if you don’t remember bug spray you will get eaten alive. Also there are the fun possibilities of Dengue Fever and Elephantitis, but they’re pretty rare around here (at the moment).

6. No Car

Actually, I love riding the busses during the day to run errands, but as the buses stop on weeknights by 6, Saturday by 3, and don’t even run on Sundays it can be tough to get around. However hitchhiking is always amazing, and we actually are frequently are offered rides when we are just walking to the bus stop which turns out awesome. However at times when it’s hard to hitch, or you are going somewhere out of the way you have to use a cab which if you’re not splitting it can get pricy. Oh and grocery shopping is a royal pain. Despite the problems, it is nice to have less worries without a car.

5. Missing People

Not like people are missing, I just am preemptively writing this as number 5 because I know I’m going to miss family and friends. It’s still only a month in so I don’t really miss anyone in the teary crying way, just in the “Oh man so-and-so would love this right now!” way. However I anticipate that there will be times where this is a problem so it made the list.

4. Department of Education

The DOE here definitely seems to care about their students, but it is possibly the craziest government agency I have ever had the pleasure of working with. First off, the schools here score in the 20 – 30th percentile in national tests. Yikes. Obviously they want to improve scores but there are some major obstacles here. For example, at my high school the kids go to school from 8:30 – 2:30 with an entire hour for lunch, which isn’t a ton of instructional time. Even better, every Monday and Friday the kids get out a 1:40! If they want to up scores maybe they should have the kids stay a little longer. Also, teachers here are totally hit or miss. Some are wonderful teachers who are doing their best to help students achieve in their subjects, while other teachers miss (I kid you not) upwards of 40 days a year! 40/180 = .222 = Teachers missing almost a fourth of the year! And this isn’t one teacher on the island, it’s disturbingly common, although the DOE is trying to crack down with swipe cards – problem is already teachers are just leaving then coming back to swipe out…

3. Food Prices/Availability

Oh what I wouldn’t give to be in Wegman’s produce section! Food is in general very available and varied here – however that happens to mostly be concerning junk food. Fruits and vegetables here are way more expensive in the states (a dollar for an apple?) and the selection at the best store on the island is like that of a Circle K. Three tomatoes are four dollars… Broccoli is five dollars for two crowns… and pretty much any other fresh vegetable is only available sometimes. It’s very hit or miss. However thankfully I have been able to survive on frozen stir fry mix, carrots, and of course the abundant coconuts and bananas. I’m not going to even start on lettuce…

2. Dampness

Everything is damp here, and everything stays damp here. Luckily I seem to have forgotten what it feels like to be dry, so I am not noticing the dampness as much. When I arrived everything I touched felt damp no matter how much you tried to try it. I guess I’m just getting used to it. But imagine if you will everything that molds in the states molding 15x faster. Not to mention things molding that never molded in the states, like electronics and clothes on a hanger. So far I have mostly kept it at bay, but just come smell our couch some time…

1. Internet connection.

As of yet I only have it at school, and it is slooooow and unreliable which makes both keeping in touch with folks at home and lesson planning tedious to the extreme.


Top Ten Amazing Things about Living in American Samoa


10. The Department of Education

While this is #4 on my tough list, it made it to number ten on my amazing list thanks to my irresponsible side. Really who is going to complain about getting out early on Fridays? Not me. Also, with all the extremely sucky teachers around it is good to know that even if I am having a horrible day, I am doing better than a bunch of other teachers because I showed up.

9. Going out Dancing

Dancing here is not like the states because the men here LOVE to dance. And not in a “I just want to dance with you so you will get drunk and sleep with me” way but they actually love the dancing – and they are good at it! Good enough to make me feel super self-conscious but it’s still really fun. When a guy asks a girl to dance they will actually ask any man you are with if they may dance with you, and after the dance they will usually kiss your hand or bow and say “thank you”. Maybe feminists wouldn’t like it, but I like some classiness put back in dancing! In addition the music is the most crazy mix you will ever here, and its all done by awesome cover bands. In one night you will hear Samoan renditions of Cher, Footloose, Flo-rida’s Low, Chris Brown, Sexual Healing, and Michael Jackson just to name a few. It is quite the eclectic mix.

8. Wildlife

My favorite meditative moments so far are when I am walking home from school, the bus, or Sliding Rock as the sun is going behind the trees and the bats are waking and flying through the skies. There is something so awesome about huge three-foot wingspan bats silently traveling right above your head, all the way to your house. Also the sea life is awesome whenever I get a chance to go snorkeling.

7. Good Friends

I was somehow blessed to have two wonderful roommates whom I get along really well with, as well as numerous good friends nearby. The year is definitely going to be awesome thanks to those folks.

6. I’m doing what I love

Teaching is my thing, and now that I’m teaching biology themed classes it is a wonderful thing!

5. Chance to start over

I’ve noticed that for me when my routine changes I am able to weed out some bad habits, and as this is a major change in lifestyle it has really helped me to get rid of bad habits and attitudes.

4. Adventure around every corner


Falling off mountains, almost getting swept out to sea, trying new foods, hiking to strange places, teaching new kids, and meeting new people has made every day here an adventure.

3. I will not see snow this year.

Praise Jesus!

2. Fa’asamoa


Fa’asamoa literally translates as “The way of Samoa” aka the Samoan Way and encompasses all the culture, language and traditions of Samoa. Since I have arrived here I have really enjoyed the aspects of the culture and the people on the island. Everyone was raised to respect elders, contribute to the group before themselves, and to respect their heritage. This makes people here friendly, helpful, and very proud and willing to share and explain their culture. When it comes to my students, they may be chatty but it is rare that they are disrespectful, and both students and adults alike are very helpful in explaining the culture.

1. I am living on a tropical island!


There is a beautiful coast less than ten minutes walk from my house, the bus to town is like a scenic tour, there are coral reefs everywhere, it is always warm, when it rains you don’t care, and everyone is laid back. It’s pretty much epic.


So overall, on a scale from 1 - 10 on how awesome my life is right now it is def a 9.8. The remaining .2 will come with internet access.

No comments:

Post a Comment