Monday, May 4, 2009

Pedal to the Metal

In my never-ending adventure of trying to make my life more green and good for my well being I have decided to start biking to work when the weather allows. I found a pretty nice summer job for now til my move to AmSam in July working in the gift shop of our hometown amusement park, Waldameer.

Ok so some might say that being a cashier at an amusement park is a little under someone with just about a Master's done, but I absolutely love jobs where I get paid to help people. Nothing is better than someone approaching, pissed as hell, worrying themselves into a fury about some injustice done to them, and working with them so that they leave happy as a clam. When that happens I mentally (or occasionally audibly) yell BAM! SCORE! HELL YES, I KICK CUSTOMER SERVICE ASS! It's just a nice way to spend the day, making people happy.

Back to the point, Waldameer is on the shore of Lake Erie about 9 miles from my parents house (where I begrudgingly moved back to in order to save money for the move) which is a nice distance to bike. The only major concern I had is that since I am south of the park, it is almost entirely downhill on the way to work, which means that the way home is almost entirely uphill. I didn't know how well this would work after an 8 hour day.

Regardless of doubts, I decided to give it a try. I mapped out my route on Google maps, and decided that my first day to try it out would be today.


So at 8:50am map in head, fleece zipped up (it was chilly!) I went off to work. The ride there was as I expected, amazingly easy and quite nice. Work went quickly, I spent 5 1/2 hours hanging up one rack of key chains. Yes, five and a half hours - one display of key chains. Don't ask. Then a couple of hours of orientation since the park will be opening to the public soon. At 6:30 I headed home a little nervous about the ride back as it had been a long day. However, the ride went awesome, I was buffer than I thought cause I didn't stop the whole way despite some pretty obnoxious hills.

Verdict on bike travel: why in God's name haven't I done this more???

No comments:

Post a Comment